"For many centuries people have believed that there is continuity between the individual in utero and the individual in the world; now there is solid evidence that this ancient belief is correct, albeit in a far more complex and nuanced way than our ancestors ever imagined."
~ Annie Murphy Paul
Focus areas include:
- Prenatal support throughout pregnancy. Techniques to foster healthy nervous system development for mother and baby.
- Complicated/Traumatic Pregnancy and/or Birth
- Post-partum depression
- Adoption (for children as well as for adult adoptees)
- When survivors give birth
- Partner coaching for labor and delivery
Deborah also teaches classes and trainings on:
- Prenatal Origins of Health
- TARA Approach for Healthy Beginnings: Pregnancy and Birth
Recent neuroscience research shows that our brains respond to our environment and the experiences of our mothers from the very beginning. The template of the nervous system, our buffer agains stress throughout life, is in place by week 2 of pregnancy. Mothers and families can learn to promote healthy nervous system development beginning at conception. This is critical to the future of their children. When there are complications or trauma during pregnancy, birth, or when post-partum depression occurs it is critical that mom and baby have the opportunity to resolve and heal from these devastating experiences so that they do not have to carry them forward emotionally and developmentally.